Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Applesauce Bread

Mmmh I love apple season. Crisp, juicy, crunchy, perfectly ripe apples. There's really nothing to compare with a fresh, home-grown, picked-at-it's-peak apple. And if you've never experienced it because you don't have apple trees, go read my post on food foraging. You don't have to have fruit trees to find good fruit. 

This year I inherited my Grandmother's champion juicer, which I love. It's been so much fun to make fresh apple juice and we've enjoyed it immensely. But there's always this question of what to do with the skins and pulp that comes out... One day I was considering this and I wondered if it would work to use the skins and pulp in a recipe that calls for chunky applesauce... So I pulled out this family favorite recipe for applesauce bread and used the skins and pulp from the juicer and guess what? It worked great! I'm so excited. I've already made 6 loaves of this bread this year and have enough pulp to make at least 10 more....so you know what we'll be eating for the next several weeks...

I hope you enjoy this delicious whole-grain applesauce bread. It is perfect for a healthy dessert or after-school snack. Enjoy!


Applesauce Bread
Printable Recipe

*Makes 2 loaves

*This recipe freezes great!

INGREDIENTS:
1 Cup 
wonder flour *See Note below
2 Cups whole wheat flour *See Note below
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. allspice
1 Cup butter, softened
1 Cup brown sugar, packed
½ Cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 Cups chunky applesauce
1 Cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two bread pans with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine butter and both sugars together. Add the egg to the butter-sugar mixture, beating well, and then stir in applesauce. Next add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until the batter is fully incorporated, but do not over mix. Fold in walnuts or pecans if desired. Pour into bread pans and bake at 350 F for 60 to 70 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when pierced through the center.


*Note: Try any combination of whole-grain flour

Recipe Source: healthyfamilycookin.blogspot.com

3 comments:

rlewiskane said...

These quick breads are great to send with my son for his after school activities. I think he's through with pumpkin bread for awhile so we'll move on to apple. Tis the season!

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

Our kids love this one Robin! Enjoy.

Barbara Bakes said...

Wish I had a slice of this for dessert. I looks scrumptious!

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails