Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pressure Cooked "Baked Potatoes"

Here's another great recipe for your electric pressure cooker. We made these baked potatoes tonight and they are really easy to make. I loved how much FASTER they are to cook than baked potatoes in an oven. And they taste delicious!


Pressure Cooked "Baked Potatoes"
First take up to 10 small, clean baking potatoes and wrap them in foil (you can use bigger potatoes but you will need to cook them a bit longer)..

Place them on the metal trivet in a 6-quart electric pressure cooker (yes, they can be layered - I only needed five this time so I didn't need to).



Pour in 2 cups water. Close the lid and lock it into place. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes (or adjust the time to longer for larger potatoes). Naturally release the pressure.


Then comes the best part: 
eat and enjoy!


Pressure Cooked "Baked Potatoes"
Printable Recipe

up to 10 small, clean baking potatoes
2 Cups water
Aluminum Foil

Wrap the potatoes with aluminum foil. Pour 2 cups water into a 6-quart electric pressure cooker and place the metal trivet inside. Layer foil-wrapped potatoes in the pressure cooker pot. Close and lock the lid into place. Then cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Release the pressure naturally. Eat up and smile!

Recipe Source: adapted from cookeatshare.com


Here's some of my favorite Baked Potato Toppings:

  • Homemade Chili
  • Broccoli/Cheese sauce - today I put in broccoli, cauliflower and butternut and sunshine squash cubes and mixed in cheese after I steamed them. Good and healthy!
  • Bacon Bits
  • Sour Cream
  • Crunched up flavored potato chips (not the healthiest, but tasty if you have some leftover chips to use)
  • Green onions/chives
  • Beef Stroganoff

What do you like on your baked potato?

For more pressure cooker recipes see my pressure cooker recipe page. Or follow my pressure cooker board on pinterest.

27 comments:

Unknown said...

Heather,

What is the advantage of wrapping the potatoes in foil vs. steaming them directly on the rack? Do they stay drier/moister?

The end result looks fantastic!!!

Ciao,

L

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

Great question! The foil gives the potatoes a texture of a baked potato when they are cooked in the pressure cooker. Less moist, less "starchy", less "mashy" if you will. If I am cooking mashed potatoes, I don't add the foil because the mashy, starchy, moistness is what is desired.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a metal trivet with my cooker. It that necessary or could you make the potatoes without it?

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

I've never tried it without. The whole point of the trivet is to keep the potatoes off the base so that they cook more evenly. I'm guessing they would still be fine, but maybe just cook more where they are touching the bottom of the pan.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled on this tonight knowing my steaks would be done well before the foil wrapped potatoes would be. Fabulous, I had 6 big bakers and I pressure cooked them standing up for 35 minutes. Perfect.

Unknown said...

Just a tip. If you don't have a rack that you can insert in a pressure cooker, make some foil balls to put on the bottom.

Anonymous said...

Can also put canning jar rings on bottom of cooker

Unknown said...

Just got my Fissler 8/4qt pressure cooker. Oh, I love it. And NOW, baked potatoes without a hot oven for an hour. Thanks for posting. We just ate dinner! It was a hit.

Leslie

Anonymous said...

I just bought a presdure oven. Do you think I can use the same directions?

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

I'm not familiar enough with how pressure ovens work to give you a good answer for that. Let me know what you find out though, I'm intrigued.

Anonymous said...

I believe you can "scrunch" tin foil in the bottom of cooker rather than using a rack.

Monica Matthews, http://how2winscholarships.com said...

You don't need to prick the potatoes with a fork before cooking?

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

Hi Monica, I've never pricked them and they work just great!

Catherine Flynn said...

Hi, I've tried this twice and my potatoes have come out still uncooked! I just tried it with one large baked potato for 20 minutes and it didn't work! I've got an instant duo pot electric pressure cooker. I'm trying again for another 20 minutes. Hope it cooks as I've got to do school pick up in a very short while!!

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

Hi Catherine, sorry the cooking time has not been working for you. Have you tried smaller potatoes? I've actually not tried the larger potatoes cooked this way. If I do, I will experiment with the time and update the recipe accordingly. Thanks for the input!

Anonymous said...

FOLLOWED YOUR DIRECTIONS EXACTLY, DID THREE MED. SIZE YUKON GOLD POTATOES IN CUISINART ELEC. 6QT PRESSURE COOKER AND THEY TURNED OUT PERFECT!! TIP FOR THOSE WHO DON'T HAVE STEAMER RACK. BED, BATH AND B. HAS RED SILICONE STEAMER BASKET WITH OPEN/CLOSE HANDLE THAT MAKES PUTTING ANYTHING YOU WANT ABOVE WATER IN THE PC AND GETTING IT OUT REALLY EASY. THANKS FOR SHARING.

Unknown said...

Make sure you add the water and make sure your valve is actually working.....30 Minutes....discard the foil wrapping to save a minute or two....

Unknown said...

Ijust received my electric 4 qt pressure cooker and was looking for recipes, when I came across this one. having steaks tomorrow night so I will be trying these potatoes.

MimiT said...

Does anyone know if I can cook with my old "traditional" type PC on a camp fire? We have a grate that we can place over the hot coals so my guess is that it might work. Please let me know if anyone has tried this and your results. Thank you in advance!

Katharine said...

What is meant by "reduce pressure naturally"?

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

Hi Katherine,

"reduce the pressure naturally" means you let the pressure go down on it's own rather than a quick pressure release done by moving the pressure release valve. Hope that makes better sense.

Anonymous said...

The foil did not work for me. My potato were hard when I completed 20 minutes.

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

How big were your potatoes? Notice how the recipe says "small" potatoes. You may need to add to the cooking time if you are cooking large baking potatoes.

Unknown said...

My only has a program options. Not high/low options. How do I change this setting or what program do I use?

Anonymous said...

I followed the directions exactly tonight with 2 baking potatoes, one small and one medium and they were still crunchy in the middle. Had to microwave them and they still weren't completely cooked. Any ideas on what went wrong? Did I not have enough potatoes in the pot for them to cook through?

Lita Watson said...

Thank for sharing! Do you think that we can use that way to stream the potatoes in pot? If yes, how long will it take to finish streaming?

William said...

These are steamed potatos when using foil. For large best baked is 4 minutes in microwave, 15 minutes in a 400 degree oven or till internal temp is 200 and you have perfect baked potatoes.

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails