Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Chocolate Wafers (Honey Sweetened)

A few weeks ago my oldest son and husband decided that they would start a challenge to see if our whole family could not eat any sugar treats, sugar drinks/soda, or candy until school started. School was 30 days away at the time and I of course though. Duh! Of course I'll do that with you! :) It's been two full weeks and I've been amazed at the stuff my kids have passed up: donuts, candy bars, lemon meringue pie (that was a bit hard for yours truly...), and TONS more junk. They have done soooo well! And don't worry...it will all pay off. At the end of 30 days we will have a special adventure trip (I think it involves fishing on a floating device of some sort) as the reward.

So have I noticed a difference? I have. I love watching the effects of my family becoming more healthy. I know for myself I feel better. More energy. I get more done. I feel invigorated. I have more patience. Healthy is great. And I really am hoping that at the end of the 30 days my kids will be better prepared to make wise decisions about the sugar treats they take into their bodies instead of just eating every treat that comes around.

So what about you? Have you tried anything like this in your family? I've been so pleased with how it's turned out. We still enjoy treats. Just treats with no sugar. And there's so many wonderful treats like that out there. One of our favorites this summer has been watermelon. It's so delicious. 

Today I'm going to share another of our newly discovered honey sweetened treats (with no processed sugar). These are the chocolate version of these vanilla wafers that I discovered last year. We still love the vanilla version. They are so yummy. And these chocolate wafers. They are so good and not hard to make. They will make the perfect school lunch or after school snack when school comes around too. Hope you enjoy them!   


Chocolate Wafers (Honey Sweetened)
Printable Recipe

*Makes 12-13 dozen wafers

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 Cup butter
1/2 Cup raw honey
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Cup wonder flour
1/4 cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 325 F. In a medium mixing bowl cream butter and honey together until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and mix well until combined. Add wonder flour, cocoa powder, sea salt, and baking powder and mix until smooth. Spoon mixture into a zip-lock sandwich bag and zip the top. Cut off a tiny bit of the corner and pipe the dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet in nickel sized blobs about 1/2" apart. Bake for 8 minutes at 325 F. Then turn off oven and let sit in oven for another 5-10 minutes. Be sure to watch carefully so they don't burn. Remove from oven and let cool until crispy and then remove from pans to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough, reusing the parchment paper. Cool completely and then store in an airtight container. They should fresh for a couple of weeks, but I doubt if they'll last that long.

Recipe Source: Adapted from this vanilla wafers recipe



Why not try the chocolate AND vanilla wafers together? I may have done that...

No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails