Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hawaiian Haystacks w/o Chicken

I was feeling adventurous the other day and tried a new recipe. I wanted to make Hawaiian Haystacks, but I didn't have any chicken. I wondered if I'd miss it. Well, I didn't, and my family didn't either. It turned out great and a great way to eat whole grains and legumes. This is a good recipe for kids because they like the colorful toppings and they can add what they want. It's not mixed like a casserole, which they usually don't care for. This is gluten free if you use something else for the soup and omit the chow mein noodles.

Hawaiian Haystacks
1-1/2 C. Brown Rice, cooked
1-2 C. Black-eyed Peas
1 can cream of chicken soup
½ C. sour cream
Dash of pepper to taste
frozen green peas, defrosted
diced red pepper
crushed pineapple
grated cheddar cheese
coconut
green onions
chow mein noodles

Pressure cook the black-eyed peas (no soaking necessary) 8-10 min on the second red ring. Mix together the black-eyed peas, soup, and sour cream in a pan. Warm thoroughly. Serve soup mixture over rice and top with green peas, red pepper, pineapple as desired.

You could try white beans or another kind of bean instead of the black-eyed peas. I used black-eyed peas because the cook up REALLY fast in the pressure cooker and I was in a hurry!

No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails