Monday, May 17, 2010

Garden!

I'm cooking up the last spaghetti squash from last year's garden for dinner tonight. The spaghetti squash meal that I like to make is so yummy, I can't wait. Isn't it amazing that we are eating a vegetable from our garden that we harvested over 6 months ago? Now that is cool! Make sure you plant some winter squash in your garden this year! It will pay off in the months to come.

We finished planting most of our garden on Saturday. It was a big project, but the whole family pitched in and it was tons of fun. I think gardening is the perfect way to teach children to work and to make it fun by working together as a family! The boys of course are too young to be able to "help" a lot, but we find little things for them to do to keep them busy. C.G was in charge of watering all the seeds and seedlings after we planted them. J.B. "helped us" by putting the seedlings in the ground. And the best news of all - we only lost one in the process!! :)

Unfortunately my seedlings that I started in February didn't make it this year, with everything going on...They grew fine, but I didn't baby them quite as closely and with all the weird weather we've been having, I wasn't able to get them outside enough so they died...so we gave our local greenhouse some business. Usually I plant peppers and tomatoes from seedlings and everything else from seeds. I'm trying basil this year from a seedling because I've never had much luck when I try to plant the seeds...I hope I get some. I love cooking with fresh herbs! Brandon planted some thyme seeds indoors this year - they popped up just fine so we're hoping they'll grow. Fresh thyme is the best thing for Italian spaghetti sauce! Mmmh.

Anyway, here's some pics of our garden thus far. Cross your fingers that it will grow. We do the chicken wire and tomato cages over everything until it gets big because of the deer problem. We keep the cages around the tomatoes and peppers, but take off the chicken wire when the plants grow big enough.










Here's our peas - they are growing pretty nicely. They and the onions are the only thing, really growing out of our spring garden. I CAN'T WAIT FOR FRESH PEAS!!

No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails