Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fresh Homemade Salsa


We love growing our own tomatoes every summer and one of the best parts of homegrown tomatoes is homemade salsa! My mother-in-law shared this recipe with me several years ago and I've been using it ever since. This year I added the freshly squeezed lime juice and it immediately went from good to excellent. I love the colors of this salsa. So vibrant and lovely. To me, they are the colors of summer. We like our salsa chunky, but if you prefer yours blended, that works for this recipe too. It's a very versatile recipe and you can change it to your hearts content. Just make sure you eat it. And enjoy every lovely, delicious bite.


Fresh Salsa

*Note: I like my salsa chunky so I always hand chop the tomatoes because food processors make them too mushy. Everything else is okay to be chopped with a food processor or by hand. If you don't like chunky salsa, blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.

INGREDIENTS:
6 large tomatoes, chopped (For less runny salsa I use 8-10 Roma Tomatoes)
1 med. onion (I use different kinds - Purple, Spanish, yellow, sweet, etc)
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
2 T. fresh squeezed lime juice (about 1 lime's worth)
2 tsp. sugar
1 jalapeno or Anaheim Chile pepper, chopped fine
bunch of cilantro (how much depends on your liking to it)
½ tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. salt
Salt & pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Mix it all ingredients together. Add salt & pepper to taste and dig in! Great served with chips or on Mexican food.

*Variations: Try different varieties of peppers whatever you like. For very mild salsa leave out the jalapeno or take out the seeds first. For hotter salsa add more hot peppers. Sometimes we add a tomatillo or two and it’s yummy. We also love “lemon boy” tomatoes in this salsa (they’re yellow and make things beautiful).

Recipe Source: adapted from a recipe given to me by my mother-in-law Jenny

My youngest son LOVES fresh salsa!

No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails