Thursday, October 6, 2011

Yellow Squash Muffins

I think the harvest will be coming in tonight - it's getting kind of cold here...pictures to come soon.

And speaking of harvest. I have loved making our favorite muffins this summer and will miss them so much. My kids eat these up like there's never going to be another meal anytime soon. I doubled-plus-a-half (I don't know if that's the correct term - I made that one up...it means 2-1/2 x) this recipe using 5 small to medium sized yellow squash this morning. Boy were they good. My 6-year-old ate 5 of them and brought 2 to school for lunch. And I thought I was going to be able to freeze some...Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!

Yellow Squash Muffins

*Makes 1 dozen muffins

*Note: You can use ¼ Cup applesauce in place of half of the butter in this recipe if you want to cut the fat. They are still good, but you will notice a difference.

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound yellow summer squash, cut up
½ Cup butter, melted
1 egg
1-½ Cup wonder flour
½ Cup sugar or honey
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt

DIRECTIONS:
In a medium saucepan, bring the cut up yellow squash to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain the squash and puree in blender. Add the butter, honey (if using) and egg to blender and mix for a few seconds.

In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, sugar (if using), baking powder, and salt. Stir in the squash mixture. Fill greased muffin cups ¾ full and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Serve warm or cold.

*These muffins can be frozen and reheated.

Recipe Source: adapted from Friend Magazine

No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails