Friday, May 18, 2012

Mexican Black Beans

I love Mexican Food! Well, I should clarify...I love unauthentic American Mexican Food! :) And these beans are my favorite! They are one of my tried and true recipes that even my kids love - which is saying something in my family of picky eaters... They are perfect to make for a vegetarian or meatless meal: quick, easy, and delicious! Our family's favorite way to eat them is in this Mexican Black Bean salad. Today I'll share the pressure cooker instructions as well as the recipe using canned beans in case you don't have a pressure cooker.


Mexican Black Beans {Pressure Cooker}
Printable Recipe

*NOTE: The Pressure cooker is my favorite way to make these beans! It enhances the flavors and it's so simple!

*Serves 8-10

INGREDIENTS:
2 Cups dry black beans, rinsed and sorted
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
3-1/2 Cups water
1 regular onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. cumin powder (or less if you want it less spicy)

DIRECTIONS:
Combine all the ingredients in a pressure cooker. Heat to high pressure and then cook for 50 minutes. Then release the pressure naturally. Serve plain, over rice, in a burrito or taco shell, or with chips in a salad.

Recipe Source: adapted from greenereating.com


Mexican Black Beans {Stove Top}
Printable Recipe

*NOTE: The Stove top method is a great option for when you're in a real hurry!

*Serves 8-10


INGREDIENTS:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 regular onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 14-oz. cans undrained black beans with lower sodium*
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 Tbsp. salt*
2 Tbsp. cumin powder (or less if you want it less spicy)

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oil in medium saucepan on medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until onions are translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Then add to the saucepan the undrained beans, tomato sauce, salt and cumin powder. Heat until mixture is bubbly, then turn down the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring often. Cook about 20 minutes or until flavors develop. Serve plain, over rice, in a burrito or taco shell, or with chips in a salad.

*NOTE: if you use regular canned beans, you will have to decrease the amount of salt. Just adjust the amount to taste.

Don't forget dessert! How about yummy fruit salsa and baked cinnamon chips? It goes perfect with the Mexican Black Beans!

How about some fresh garden lettuce for that salad? 

Isn't it beautiful? I love this time of year when the garden is growing! We've almost got it all planted now...and...we're harvesting lettuce, spinach, chard, radishes, turnips, and green onions (from the onions we left in the ground last year). And more to come!! :)

16 comments:

Noreen said...

I made these beans last night and they were amazing. I used an immersion blender to get them to a smooth consistency and then I used them in my vegetarian enchilada recipe. So good!

Anonymous said...

Both my husband and I tried this recipe. Both times it burnt within 20 minutes and the second time it burnt so bad we had to throw away our pressure cooker.

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

Dear Anonymous,
I'm sorry to hear that. I've literally made this recipe DOZENS of times and never had that problem. Did you follow the recipe exactly? did you put the full three-and-a-half cups of water in? Burning in a pressure cooker is usually a result of not enough liquid. This recipe as it is written has plenty of liquid and should not burn. How old was your pressure cooker? Was it electric or a stove top? Thanks for your feedback.

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

Anonymous, Another comment...Did you follow the recipe for "Pressure cooker instructions?" I've also included the stove top directions at the bottom which will not work in the pressure cooker because there is not enough liquid.

Anonymous said...

I halved the recipe (put in 1.75 cups water) and mine burned in my 5 year old stovetop pressure cooker. -Sarah

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

Sarah, Thanks for replying with that information. I will try it in my stovetop pressure cooker and update the recipe as needed next time. I've only made it in an electric pressure cooker. You may need more water for the stovetop. I'm not sure if halving the recipe might have something to do with it as well. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You're right! Do not halve the recipe!!
I tried it again with the exact ingredients above and I love the end product.
Just wanted to update my previous comment. -Sarah

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

Thanks for the update Sarah. Glad you like it.

Unknown said...

At what pressure does your electric pressure cooker cook? I just bought an Instant Pot and it only cooks at about 11 psi at high pressure, whereas my stove top cooker cooks at 15 psi, big difference in cooking times.

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

Gene,
That's a great point. I have a Cuisnart Electric and it looks like it's about 10 PSI on high pressure.

Post-it Note said...

I made these on the stove with dried beans and I followed some directions I found online for cooking beans but used this recipe for the flavor and chicken broth for the water and these were a success!! Thank you! :D Paige

britta said...

OMG I made these beans today and I'm in LOVE! 1st time I've made beans from scratch that are actually worth eating! I doubled the recipe - used 8c of water & 15 oz tomato sauce, 1 large white onion, doubled the cumin, garlic, & salt. Cooked it all in my Instant Pot on high pressure for 50 mins & let the pressure naturally decrease for over an hour. I'm serving these to a large group tomorrow for a cinco de mayo party & I'm just thrilled with the results. THANK YOU!!!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! Loved then so much I turned right around and made a second batch. Freezing them for haystacks on a women's retreat. Good to read above that the recipe can be doubled.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous recipe! Loved them so much I turned right around and made a second batch. Freezing them for haystacks on a women's retreat.

Unknown said...

Love these! I had already soaked my beans when i found this recipe, i cut back on the water and only cooked them for 16minutes. There is still a lot of liquid left over but i may use my immersion blender and make some non-refried beans!! Wow...I will make these again and again!

Unknown said...

These beans are SO yummy! I've made this recipe probably five times in the last few months. The one pound bag of dried beans equals about 2.5 cups. So I use the whole bag and add another 1-1/4 of water. I also add a bay leaf and replace a cup or so of water with any leftover broth in the fridge. (Just remember to take the bay leave out before using the immersion blender!) My search for a delicious black bean recipe is over. This is the one! Thank you!

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails