Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Frugal Friday: Kitchen Tip/Tutorial - Freezing Fresh Corn

Busy time of year! The garden is still producing like crazy and I'm rushing around trying to keep up with it. I've learned so many new things this year from some wonderful people and I'm excited to share it all with you. I wish I had 4 more hours in each day or a clone to help me. But I'll just do my best. 

We just picked our last crop of corn. We usually plant the corn spaced out about 2-4 weeks so that we can harvest corn for a couple of months. Fresh sweet corn is one of our favorite treats from the garden. 

Today I'm going to show you how to freeze corn off the cob. You can also freeze the actual cobs, but this is my preferred method because it takes less freezer space and we all know how precious freezer space is this time of year. 


How to Freeze Corn


Step 1: Pick or buy sweet corn. The fresher the better. Corn will lose its flavor and sweetness really quickly. Fill up a big pot with water. I like to use a water bath canner because it holds a lot. Heat to boiling on the stove. While water is heating, husk corn. Remove silks and wash. 

Step 2: Once the water has started boiling, submerge ears of corn in the boiling water (being careful not to overcrowd) and cook for 5 minutes. Start the timer immediately after placing the corn ears in the boiling water. This is called blanching. Blanching is important in freezing most vegetables because it's stops the enzyme action, which can cause a loss of flavor, color, and texture.


 Step 3: When 5 minutes is up, remove the corn from the pot and immediately place corn ears in cold ice water to stop them from cooking anymore. 


Step 4: When corn has cooled for about 5 minutes, hold cob upright resting one end on a cutting board. Then with a sharp knife cut off the kernals from the cob. 



Step 5: Pack corn in freezer bags, label and date. Frozen corn should last for at least a year in the freezer. 

Growing your own food and then preserving it such a satisfying and frugal thing to do. It also helps you eat healthier because healthy food is available and convenient. Happy Frugal Friday!

2 comments:

~Jenni M.~ said...

I saw on facebook that you can also save time by using a bundt pan when cutting the corn off of the cob (as shown here: http://www.thekitchn.com/smart-tip-get-corn-off-the-cob-using-a-bundt-pan-saveur-193669 ) If you ever try it this way, let me know how it works! It'll probably be a couple of years before I get around to growing and freezing our own corn. :)

Heather {Healthy Family Cookin} said...

Thanks for sharing Jenni. I've never seen that method but it sounds like it would work great!

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails