Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Green Kefir Smoothie


Did you catch my post on Monday about Kefir? I hope so because today I'm going to share a recipe that uses the Kefir milk that I described making in that post. This is my favorite kefir smoothie that I drink almost EVERY SINGLE day for breakfast (I'm actually drinking some right now as I'm writing this...). I usually make the whole recipe and then put half in the freezer for the next day so I only actually have to do the work every other day. Lazy, huh? The next day I just pull the frozen kefir smoothie out of the freezer about an hour or two before I'm ready to eat it and it's ready to go. It makes a great on-the-run breakfast. I actually use this smoothie as a meal replacement (half the recipe is perfect) and it works well to add the chia and flax seed to give it a little more substance. I'll sometimes have a little bit of toast or an egg or something on the side if I need a little more carbs or protein that day.

This smoothie is packed full of healthy foods, but it tastes wonderful and refreshing. If you're worried about the greens you can of course leave them out, but they are such a great way to get your servings of green vegetables that your body needs. You really shouldn't taste anything "green" in this smoothie. If you are, you need to add more frozen fruit. Berries work the best for masking the "green-ness" but I also love peaches. I love to change, mix and combine the fruit and make the smoothie taste a little different each day. The raw honey also helps mask the "green" taste, but there is another great reason to eat a little every day. Local raw honey can help with allergies. We've been buying raw honey from a local beekeeper for a few years now and have seen a great difference with our allergies.

I should mention one more thing really quickly before leaving you to enjoy this great recipe. This is a great time of year to find fruit that's going to waste to freeze for your supply of smoothies this year. From my experience, even if fruit is a little past its prime, it will still work well blended up in a smoothie.

Well I hope I've got you convinced to try making this yummy smoothie. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment. I appreciate all your comments and read and try to respond to as many as I can. I hope you are enjoying fall. Have a wonderful day.


Green Kefir Smoothie
Printable Recipe

*Makes 3-4 Cups

INGREDIENTS:
2 Cups kefir milk (or you can use half milk/half plain yogurt)
1 Tbsp. chia seed, optional
1 Tbsp. flax seed, optional
1 scant Tbsp. raw honey
1 packed cup fresh spinach or other greens (chard, kale, turnip greens, etc.)
1 frozen banana
1-2 Cups your choice frozen fruit (strawberries, peaches, mangoes, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, pineapple, etc)

DIRECTIONS:
Add all ingredients in order to a large blender and blend until smooth. Taste and add more frozen fruit if needed. Blend for 2 minutes on high. Serve immediately.

Recipe Source: healthyfamilycookin.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This looks like a great energy booster. I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails