Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Winter Honey-Lime Fruit Salad



We had some friends over for dinner the other night. They expressed a desire not to have a sugary dessert served so I thought instead I would serve this honey-lime fruit salad. They loved it and asked about the "zesty" flavor. I told them about the secret - the lime (or lemon) juice dressing. It really brings out the flavor of the fruit and turns it into something really special.

I call it "Winter honey-lime fruit salad" but I've made it other times of the year also. The winter fruits (like apples and mandarin oranges) really shine out in this salad, but you could easily use peaches and pears for a summer version. Strawberries happened to be on sale the week I made this so I included those and I love the color they add. You could also use kiwis, blueberries, or raspberries. Obviously if you were in a pinch, you could use canned pineapple instead of fresh, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really in a bind. The fresh pineapple adds something wonderful.

I'm always looking for ways to brighten up winter days this time of the year and this colorful fruit salad is sure to do the trick. On top of that, it's healthy and delicious. A win all around.


Winter Honey-Lime Fruit Salad
Printable Recipe

*Makes 6 1-cup servings

INGREDIENTS:
6 Cups Fruit, cut into bite sized pieces (I used 1/4 sliced fresh pineapple, 1/2 lb. sliced strawberries, 3-4 chopped fresh mandarin oranges, 1 chopped golden delicious apple)
Juice of 1-1/2 limes or 1 lemon
2 heaping Tbsp. honey

DIRECTIONS:
Wash and chop up fruit into bite sized pieces and place in large bowl. Soften honey (if not already soft). For best results it should be a runny consistency. In a small bowl whisk together lime (or lemon) juice and runny honey. Pour over chopped fruit. Serve immediately or chill for up to 2-3 hours before serving. Best served the same day, if made too far in advance, fruit may get a little soggy.

Recipe Source: healthyfamilycookin.blogspot.com



No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails