Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Refried Bean Tostadas


I've had this recipe on my list to try for a long time and I'm embarrassed how long it's taken me to try. I originally found the method at Kaylyn's Kitchen and I loved the idea of baking the tostada shells rather than frying them. I'm so pleased with the result (and kind of kicking myself that it took that long to try). This is a great recipe to add to your repertoire of healthy Mexican food-type recipes. The tostada shells came out crispy and delicious. I was pleased when I discovered I could make a big batch and seal them in a bag and eat them for my lunch during the week and they stayed crispy. So satisfying and yummy. This is a very simple recipe, more of a technique. It's easy, healthy, and very delicious.


Refried Bean Tostadas
Printable Recipe

*This recipe is adaptable for how many you are serving. Plan on making about 2-3 tostadas per adult.

INGREDIENTS:
Corn tortilla shells or taco sized flour tortillas
olive oil
Refried Beans (We love these homemade refried beans and make them all the time)
Guacamole (our favorite homemade recipe)
Grated Cheese
Diced fresh tomatoes
Sliced olives
Sour cream
Salsa

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 450 F. Place large baking sheet in oven and let it get hot while oven is preheating. Carefully remove baking sheet and spread with a thin layer of olive oil. Lay out tortillas so they are flat on the hot baking sheet (I was able to bake 6 at a time on mine). Toast tortillas for about 3-4 minutes on each side in hot oven until they are crisp and barely starting to brown. Watch carefully so they do not burn. Repeat as needed until you have enough tostada shells. It's okay if you make too many. I've found that they will store well at room temperature in a sealed container for a couple of days a least. They are still nice and crispy. If you want to re-warm them just pop them back in a hot oven for a couple of minutes (I usually just reheat the refried beans and don't worry about reheating the tostada shells).

While tostada shells are cooking, prepare the toppings. I like the refried beans to be warm. When ready to serve I usually just have separate bowls with the toppings and let people assemble their own. This works best for a family because the kids often like to have everything separate anyway.

Recipe Source: Adapted from Kaylyn's Kitchen


No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails