Monday, January 5, 2009

Sweet Potato Muffins

I posted about the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins that I made a few weeks ago. Well I used the same basic recipe but substituted pureed sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin. They were delicious. I loved the flavor. I used a mixture of whole grains for my flour instead of just wheat. I used barley, brown rice, spelt and wheat. You don't need the chocolate chips. These muffins are so light and moist that they're great without. If you're just beginning to introduce whole-grains into your families, the chocolate chips will help mask their "healthiness" so it would be good to include them. Here's the latest recipe:

Sweet Potato Muffins
1 C. White Wheat Flour
2 C. Wonder Flour (equal parts of Spelt, Barley, Brown Rice)*
1 1/4 C. White Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg

2 Eggs
2 C. Cooked, pureed Pumpkin, Sweet Potatoes or Yams
1/2 C. Unsweetened Applesauce
1/4 C. Oil
1 C. Chocolate Chips (or Walnuts, which are a great substitute!), optional
1 1/2 C. Warm Water

Mix together dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. Then combine wet and dry ingredients. Mix enough to incorporate the wet and dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Handle as little as possible once the wet and dry ingredients are combined. Then add Chocolate Chips or Walnuts to the mixture. Coat 18-20 average size muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. Fill till heaping with muffin batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 22-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Don't open the oven door, except near the end of the cooking time to check for doneness, or stomp around the kitchen because the muffins can easily flunk. Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tins. Then let cool on a wire rack.

*This Wonder Flour is wonderful - Chef Brad (my uncle) told me about it and I use it all the time!

No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails