Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My Favorite Pizza - Hawaiian with Roasted Almonds!

I've posted about our family tradition of Friday Night Pizza Night before. And I've even hinted about this recipe, but today I'm doing a full post on it because it's my most favorite pizza ever. And it uses our food of the week - almonds. Roasted slivered almonds to be exact. I got the idea for this pizza from Brick Oven, a pizza place that we like to go to sometimes when we are feeling extravagant, which is not often! My husband took me there when we were engaged and we ordered this pizza. I immediately fell in love with it and have been trying to recreate it ever since. Here's my closest copycat recipe for Brick Oven's Hawaiian Pizza (a healthier version of course - after all this IS Healthy Family Cookin').


Hawaiian Pizza with Roasted Almonds


*Makes 2 Large Pizzas


INGREDIENTS:
 1 1/2 Cup water
1 tsp. salt 
1 Tbsp. powdered milk
1 Tbsp. honey or brown sugar
1-1/2 Cup freshly-ground wheat flour
1 Tbsp. SAF instant yeast 
2-3 Cup All-purpose white flour
2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce
2 tsp. pizza or Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp. olive oil + more
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
5-6 Cups Cheese of your choice (I like to blend different combinations of Mozzarella, cheddar, Parmesan, jack, Colby jack, etc)
1 can sliced pineapple rings, cut into bite sized pieces
5-8 oz. chopped ham or Canadian bacon
1/2 Cup slivered almonds, roasted (see my previous blog post on how to roast almonds)


DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven 500 degrees. For the dough, heat the water in the microwave for 2 minutes. Place the hot water, salt, milk, and sugar in Bosch mixer. Add 1-1/2 C. wheat flour and then add the yeast on top. Set mixer at 2nd speed and mix adding more wheat flour until barely begins to pull from sides. Mix to let gluten work in for about 6 min. Drizzle counter with olive oil. Roll out half of the dough in a circle and place on parchment paper. Repeat for the other half of the dough. Let the dough raise for 15-20 min. 

For the sauce, simmer together until just heated: 2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce, 2 tsp. pizza or Italian seasoning, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar. This makes enough sauce for 2 large pizzas. I've made this sauce without the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and it's still good, but they do add a lot of flavor!


Spread the sauce onto the pizza crust. Then add the cheese, the pineapple, chopped ham or Canadian bacon and slivered almonds (or other toppings of your choice). 


Bake on preheated 500 F pizza stone, for 7-9 minutes or until crispy and cheese is bubbly. Eat up and enjoy!


Recipe Source: healthyfamilycookin.blogspot.com




1 comment:

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

I think I am going to make this this weekend. My husband loves Hawaiian pizza. Thank you so much for linking to Must Try Monday. I'm following you now ;).

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails