Friday, April 12, 2013

Frugal Friday: Is Higher Education Worth the Cost?

I've been thinking lately about the last fifteen years or so of my life (since I moved away from home) and feeling very grateful for the blessings that I've been given in my life. One of those blessings was the ability to gain a higher education. So that's what I'd like to talk about today for Frugal Friday.

I grew up in a home with five siblings and not a lot of extra money. My Dad worked hard to support our family, but there was never much extra money and things were always tight. My parents believed strongly that education is the door that unlocks opportunity and encouraged us toward getting a degree after high school. I was encouraged and taught young and it must of made a difference because from the time I entered high school I knew that I would be going to college. I had my sights set and there was nothing that was going to change my mind.

Looking back I realize that it must have seemed daunting to my parents to have a daughter so set on attending college without really understanding the cost of such a venture (because I didn't). But they never discouraged me. It was always encouragement. Always support. Always refocusing me back that direction when I would get discouraged. With their help (especially my Mom) I was able to apply for scholarships and grants and taught to work and save in order to make my goal happen. I feel so indebted to those generous people that gave so selflessly so that I could get a college education that wouldn't have been possible except through scholarships.
Receiving my Bachelor's degree

So was it worth it? Was all the cost, the work, the effort really worth the degrees that I received? Yes. And I wish I could shout that out loud and clear. YES IT WAS WORTH IT! And that's coming from a stay-at-home Mom who does nothing with her degrees now except enjoy a science experiment with her kids once and a while.

My parents were right. Education unlocks the door of opportunity. I was blessed to get that education when I was still young, before I had kids. But I realize that my path may be different from yours. The timing and type of your higher education will be different for you than for me. But it's never to late to get your education. It may not seem like the frugal thing to do. It's costly in time and money. It's hard work. But it's worth it. Every bit of it.

My grandmother got her degree as a older woman, after her children were all grown and raised. She worked at it and worked at it for years. Taking a little here and a little there. Fitting it in as her schedule allowed. Was it worth it for her? YES. Did she ever do anything with it? Not that I am aware of. But it was worth it.

I believe that obtaining a higher education is part of living a frugal life. It's helped me in so many areas of my life. How I live. How I think. How I see the world. It's helped me learn how to learn.

So now I'd love to hear from you. Do you think that higher education is worth the cost? What are you doing to help your kids set their sites on higher education after high school? How about you? Was or Is it important to you to get a higher education? Why?

Thanks for sharing and hope you have a wonderful weekend.

1 comment:

way2 college said...

NICE BLOG!!! Education is the process of bringing desirable change into the behavior of human beings. It can also be defined as the “Process of imparting or acquiring knowledge or habits through instruction or study”. Thanks for sharing a nice information.
AMIE Results

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails