Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Easy Pear Sauce (No Sugar)

After I posted on fresh peach syrup a few weeks ago I thought I'd try creating a no sugar pancake/waffle topping with pears. I was amazed at how easy this recipe came together and how tasty it was. Even easier than the peach syrup (and that was easy). Since I've gone sugar free six days a week, I've missed being able to eat my favorite pear jam every day. And while this is not pear jam, it is a tasty alternative that I can enjoy that is satisfyingly sweet naturally.


Easy Pear Sauce
Printable Recipe

*Makes 2-1/2 to 3 Cups Pear Sauce

*Note: I make this sauce with home-canned pears. As an alternative you can use ripened fresh, pears (make sure you've ripened them enough so that they have natural sugar otherwise it won't be very tasty) and steam in a little water until just barely tender. I don't recommend using store bought canned pears because they are too soft and when pureed turn into something that resembles, well...baby food.

INGREDIENTS:
1 Quart home-canned pears

DIRECTIONS:
Pour quart of home-canned pears into strainer and drain off juice.*See Note Below Place drained pears into a blender and pulse 4 to 5 times or until you get a chunky, applesaucey-type texture. Do not blend too much or the texture will be less than desirable. Enjoy on pancakes or waffles or just plain.

*Note: You could argue with me that this recipe isn't totally sugar free because the pears were packed in sugar syrup. I'm not going to be that picky, myself. If you're a purist, you can rinse the pears to get the remaining sugar off, or pack your pears in something other than a sugar syrup when you can them. The real reason for using sugar in the syrup when canning is to keep as much of the natural sugar in the pears as possible, otherwise it will leach out into the juice around it and the pears themselves will be left flavorless.

*Recipe Source: healthyfamilycookin.blogspot.com


I discovered a new favorite whole-grain pancake recipe that I will be posting soon! :)

2 comments:

Megan Colwell said...

I love this recipe. You always post such wonderful ideas.

The Nautical Owl
Facebook
Etsy
Twitter

B Stifen said...

I faced many problem to make pears sauce. After reading your post, easily I make this. Really it was very testy.
I read dehydrator site for choosing my cooking tools. Also you have any site plz share.
Thank you.

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails