Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Honey Yogurt Dip & Tips for Sugar-free

The holidays were definitely holidays for me. And I indulged in a bit more sugar than I should have. I paid for it by feeling sluggish, achy, cranky, and overall just yucky. Now that the New Year is here, I've recommitted to my sugar-free goal because I don't like myself that way. I like my sugar-free self better. But if there's anything I've learned in the last year of cutting back on sugar, it's that you have to have a sweet replacement for it. Especially during the first few weeks of the "detox" phase when you begin. I don't like to use the chemical sweeteners. I prefer a more natural approach to sweetening. So in honor of re-instating my goal of 6 days a week without sugar I'd like to share with you a this delicious recipe sweetened with raw honey.

I actually made this for New Year's Eve because by then I was so sugar-ed out that I couldn't even stomach the thought of making a dessert with sugar. This was such a yummy treat and literally takes minutes to whip together. I've eaten the leftovers for breakfast, lunch, and dinner since then. My Mom is actually the one who discovered how delicious it is dipped on breadsticks. You've gotta try it. So yummy. Our neighbors brought us these granny smith apples from their orchard and we are loving them dipped in this. Tart mixed with sweet. Perfect combination. So whether you go with breadsticks or fruit, you can't go wrong. In fact, try both. Double Yum!

And just in case you are looking, here are some more of my favorite sugar-free recipes and some tips on how to curb a sweet tooth. Happy New Year!



Honey Yogurt Dip
Printable Recipe

*Makes about 2 Cups

INGREDIENTS
2 Cups plain yogurt (thick style like Greek works the best; if using homemade, strain off some of the whey through cheesecloth first)
1/2 Cup honey
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Your choice of fresh fruit or bread sticks. My choices would be apples, strawberries (in season), or these breadsticks.

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, honey and cinnamon. Mix well until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Serve with fresh fruit or bread sticks. This dip keeps well in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

*Recipe Source: adapted slightly from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails