Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Fresh Mango Slushie

I don't think I've told you of my new obsession with mangoes lately, have I? Oh my. They've become the thing around here lately. They are pretty much my lifeline to happiness. Just ask my family. I don't know why. Maybe it's because my husband took off on a business trip to Samoa last month and I didn't get to go. But ever since I've been dreaming of sitting on a beautiful beach sipping coconuts and eating fresh mangoes. Not really, but it sounds nice, right?

Well the other day I had this grand idea that I could great the perfect mango slushie much like this strawberry slushie of yesteryear. Don't you love that word yesteryear? It sounds like I've popped out of the 1800's or something. Well anyway, I've been just dying to experiment with it and guess what? You're in luck because I finally did. Summer has hit and it's been warm (I can't say hot because I know July will hit and I'll eat my words). This slushie is so cool and refreshing. And yes it has no processed sugar. Yay for healthy summer treats! The mint leaves are the secret ingredient. You can leave them out if you absolutely have to, but oh my, they add just the right amount of freshness. They take this slushie a step up from amazing to superb.

So maybe I can't go to Samoa and sip coconuts and eat fresh mangoes, but now I can definitely make a mango slushie and sip it under a shade tree while watching the kids frolicking peacefully in the sunshine. Sounds dreamy right? If only, if only... Happy Summer!


Fresh Mango Slushie
Printable Recipe

*Makes about 4 1-cup servings

INGREDIENTS:
Juice of 1 medium lemon or 2 small limes (fresh is best, I like the lemon slightly better)
1/4 Cup honey or Xagave
2 large mangoes, peeled and seeded
4-5 fresh mint leaves, plus more to garnish
2-3 Cups ice

DIRECTIONS:
Add lemon or lime juice, honey or Xagave, mangoes, and mint leaves to blender and blend until pureed. Then add the ice and blend until mixture reaches a "slushie" consistency. Add more ice if needed to reach desired consistency. Then taste and add more sweetener if needed. Serve immediately.

Recipe Source: healthyfamilycookin.blogspot.com

No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails