Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Fresh Spinach Feta Pizza

I've been branching out on my pizza concoctions even more than normal lately. This fresh spinach feta pizza is a wonder of wonders. I've had it at least 3 times in the last few weeks and it is amazing. Feta and spinach are a match made in heaven...and on pizza...oh my. Really. Oh my. We loved going out to the garden and picking fresh spinach to make this pizza. Sadly the spinach has gone to seed now, but that won't stop me from making this recipe again in the very near future.

What better way to have a meatless meal than an amazing vegetarian pizza? The flavors are supreme. I wasn't really a mushroom lover (and I still can't really stand the soggy ones), but this pizza got me out of my comfort zone into a wonderful place of mushroom enjoyment. And if you don't, it's okay add some chopped red peppers instead.


Fresh Spinach Feta Pizza
Printable Recipe

*Makes 1 large pizza

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 recipe whole grain pizza or bread stick dough
Olive oil
1 fresh garlic clove, minced
1/8 tsp. garlic salt
2 Cups chopped fresh spinach
1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
1 Cup sliced fresh mushrooms or chopped red peppers
1 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 Cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 tsp. dried basil

DIRECTIONS:
Place pizza stone*(See Note below) on lower middle rack in the oven and preheat to 500 F (for best results preheat for about an hour). 

Sprinkle counter with olive oil. Coat rolling pin in oil. Roll out dough into a large circle (10 - 12” diameter) and place on parchment paper. Brush with olive oil until covered. Sprinkle with minced garlic and garlic salt. Add chopped spinach, red onion slices and fresh mushrooms. Top with mozzarella cheese. Finally sprinkle feta and dried basil on the very top.  Bake on preheated 500 F pizza stone, for 7-8 min or until crispy and cheese is bubbly.

Note: If you do not have a pizza stone, I've had success making yummy pizza using this method.

Recipe Source: Adapted from Taste of Home

No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails