Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Watermelon Slushies {Naturally Sweetened}

Okay remember last month when I was complaining of the heat? Yeah that was nothing. And remember those dreams of happily sipping mango slushies while the kids frolick peacefully in the sunshine? Yeah well at least I've got the slushie part down. We're still working on the peacefully frolicking part I'm afraid. Are you in the same boat? Never fear because now you can practice even more with these watermelon slushies. Seriously these are so good. 

I have to admit I was a little wary of them when I first saw the recipe. Let me try to explain. We're kind of watermelon snobs in our family. Not kidding. My Mom is a watermelon lover. People have called her Watermelly as a nickname. This is kind of a tangent but she and and I had a watermelon contest on the 4th of July. We didn't plan it or anything, but I should have realized there was no way I should mess with her expertise. We both picked out watermelons from two different stores and we opened them both to see which was the best tasting. And hers won hands down. As I mentioned I should have known not to mess with Watermelly. 

Anyway, back to the watermelon snobs thing. I grew up eating watermelon every day of summer from June to August (just about). It was "the thing" to have in summer. And life was always better after a watermelon bust as we called it. Yum.

So I was wary of the recipe because I thought there's no way I can "waste" a good watermelon by sticking it in the freezer. Because there's no such thing as "leftover" watermelon. IT ALL GETS EATEN. ALWAYS. 

Well I took the plunge and I'm glad I did. These are so good. You know how you kind of crave nice cold frozen treats in the summer and it's so easy just to stop for ice cream or a slushie or frosty or you name it? Well I've been trying even more to have naturally sweetened treats lying around so there's no need to do that and this is such a yummy yummy one. I haven't tried it on the expert yet. Watermelly, if you're reading this you'll have to try it and let me know. :) Happy Summer! Hope yours is going great!


Watermelon Slushies {Naturally Sweetened}

*Serves 2-3

INGREDIENTS:
Juice of 1/2 lime or small lemon
1 ripe banana, peeled (not frozen)
2 Cups Frozen Watermelon

DIRECTIONS:
Combine ingredients in order in a blender (I've found that the order does help it blend a little easier). Blend until smooth and serve immediately. 

Recipe Source: Very slightly adapted from All thing Beautiful, changed the recipe directions to simplify blending a bit. 

No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails