Thursday, April 28, 2016

Chewy Coconut Oatmeal Cookies {Dairy Free}



One of the things that's probably the hardest about being dairy/soy free is the difficulty finding treats. I have a sweet tooth like no other and it's hard to be surrounded by food that you can't eat. Before I found this recipe, I tried so many cookie recipes that left a lot to be desired. 

They were oookkkaaay...but...

Well okay...but recipes are not the kind of recipes I like to share here. And I'm happy to say I found one that I looooove! And will make again and again even when I'm not dairy free. These are chewy and soft with the perfect texture. They hold their shape beautifully well and are really a dairy-free girl's dream come true. 

Make sure you use the wonder flour or try another type of whole-grain flour. I would use spelt or oat flour if it was me. Try to stay away from whole-wheat. I think it would be a little too dense for these cookies. I made these originally with all white flour and blech. They tasted far too pasty for me. They grains give them such a wonderful flavor.

The only drawback to these cookies is that they don't store very long. Well, that's only a drawback if you don't eat them immediately and that won't be a problem. But, if you do want to save them for more than a day or so be sure to put them in the freezer. They freeze beautifully well. Then just pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds or so and they come out tasting as good as they did right out of the oven.

Well pardon me. Here I am blabbing on and on... and you've got cookies to make. I won't keep you from these any longer. I know when it's time to leave. 




Chewy Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
Printable Recipe

*Makes just over 3 dozen cookies

INGREDIENTS:
1-3/4 Cup wonder flour
1 Cup all purpose white flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Cup coconut oil (measured solid), melted and slightly cooled
1 Cup granulated sugar
1 Cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Cup quick oats

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.

In another large bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer) beat together coconut oil, sugars, eggs and vanilla until fluffy and well-blended. Gradually pour in dry ingredients, mixing after each addition until combined. Stir in quick oats.

Scoop dough with a 2-Tablespoon cookie scoop or roll equivalent amount of dough in a ball and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 F or until edges turn light golden brown. Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 2 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

*Recipe Source: Slightly adapted from Culinary Couture

No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails