Friday, February 5, 2010

Homemade Whole-Grain Bagels

I've been wanting to make some whole-grain Bagels for a while and today I finally did! It's really not as hard as it sounds. First I made this bread recipe for the dough (it's whole-grain and we like it!)

Then I rolled the dough out into 19 balls (I wished I had done 18 later because they didn't fit nicely on my parchment paper like I wanted them to).

Meanwhile I boiled a big pot full of water (at least a gallon) with 1/3 C. Karo Syrup in it. While that was starting to boil I formed the balls into bagels - sticking my thumb in the middle of the ball and rolling it around until it formed a bagel-shape. Then I put those on parchment paper to rise for about 10 minutes. (Here's a sneak preview to our beautiful newly sanded down cabinets in the kitchen - more pics to come when we finish the tile!!)
When the water was boiling good I put 3 bagels in at a time for 30 seconds on each side. This boiling process gives the bagels their bagel-like texture.

Remove the bagels from the water with a slotted spatula. Before cooking, I brushed the bagels with an egg wash (1 egg and 2 Tbsp. water) to make them shiny. I cooked the bagels on parchment paper on a pizza stone at 400 F for 20 minutes. Mmmh! They were good! And really not all that hard! Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails