Wednesday, February 10, 2010

No-Sugar Apple or Peach Puffy Oven Pancakes

I've have a thus-far unstated new year's resolution. Since goals are usually more effective when you tell someone about them, I'm going to tell you. I want to eat less sugar. And I want to feed my family less sugary treats. That's very nonspecific I know, but that's the goal.

So here was my attempt at it this morning. My family loves this recipe - it's one of those recipes that our son asks for for his birthday breakfast every year (it's that good!). I modified it this morning to be a no-sugar breakfast by substituting agave for the brown sugar. It turned out delicious - if I hadn't told them they wouldn't have even guessed the difference.

Apple or Peach Puffy Oven Pancake
2 Tbsp. butter
2 large eggs
½ C. Wonder flour
½ C. Milk
¼ tsp. salt

Heat oven to 400 F. Melt butter in pie plate 9x1-1/4”, in oven; brush margarine on side of pie plate. Beat eggs slightly in medium bowl with wire whisk or hand beater. Beat in remaining ingredients just until mixed (do not over beat). Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. agave nectar (original recipe called for 2 Tbsp. packed brown sugar) and ¼ tsp. cinnamon evenly over melted butter in pie plate. Arrange 1 C. thinly sliced peeled baking apple (1 med) or sliced peaches over sugar (I usually use canned apples or peaches). Pour batter over apple. Bake 30 to 35 min. Immediately loosen edge of pancake and turn upside down onto heatproof serving plate. Serves 2.

To make Gluten Free, just use gluten free wonder flour: see chef brad's website for recipe.

1 comment:

Cherylyn said...

This sounds so yummy, and I'm tempted to try it for lunch or dinner!

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails