Monday, May 12, 2014

Pizza Dough {My New & Improved Recipe}

I've been using the same pizza dough and pizza dough method for years. That tried and true crust has been a mainstay in our home for dozens of Friday night pizza nights. Only recently I decided to branch out and try another recipe that looked promising. I adapted it a bit to incorporate things from our original pizza crust that I love and I've come up with my very own new and improved pizza dough recipe. You'll notice it's not too much different than the original recipe. Just a few little changes to notch it up just a little. Oh my. It's a winner. We love pizza and this recipe is the new favorite. In fact, the last several pizza recipes that I've posted I've used this new and improved pizza dough. I'm finally getting around to posting it. Enjoy.


Pizza Dough
Printable Recipe

*Makes 2 large pizzas

INGREDIENTS:
1-1/2 Cups very warm water (I usually microwave tap water for 90 seconds)
1-1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. powdered milk
1-1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 Cups whole wheat flour
1-1/2 Tbsp. instant yeast (I use the SAF brand)
1 to 2 Cups unbleached white flour, as much as needed

DIRECTIONS:
In a Bosch mixing bowl (with the mixer off) add (in this order) water, brown sugar, powdered milk, olive oil, salt, and whole wheat flour. Next add the instant yeast to the top of the wheat flour (so it's not touching salt or hot water directly). Turn the mixer on and begin mixing on low speed until ingredients are incorporated. Add unbleached white flour to the mixer bowl (while the dough is mixing) until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Once the dough has reached this consistency do not add any more flour, turn the mixer up a notch or two, and let the dough mix for 6 minutes. Turn off the mixer, cover the dough, and let it rise for 30-60 minutes.

About 30 minutes before you're ready to bake, place pizza stone in oven and preheat to 425 F. When dough has risen, sprinkle counter with olive oil. Coat rolling pin in oil. Divide dough into two pieces and roll out each into a large circle (10-12" diameter) and place on parchment paper. Let raise for 5 to 10 minutes. Add sauce and cheese and other toppings as desired (see some of my favorite pizza combos below). Bake on preheated 425 F pizza stone for 6-10 minutes or until crispy and cheese is bubbly. The cooking time will depend largely on the toppings, how hot your pizza stone is, etc.

Note: If you do not have a pizza stone, I've had success making yummy pizza using this method.

Recipe Source: healthyfamilycookin.blogspot.com


My Favorite Pizzas that are GREAT with this crust:


And a new one that I hope to post VERY SOON! 

No comments:

Popular Posts

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails